Get Thee to a Gallery! Celebrate LA Arts Month 2010
Celebrate the arts in LA this month. | Photo by BokehBunny via LAist's flickr pool.
This morning at REDCAT in downtown Los Angeles, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Councilman Tom LaBonge and leaders from numerous arts organizations helped launch the start of LA Arts Month 2010. There are a number of lectures, events and exhibits planned throughout the city to help Angelenos realize that LACMA, MOCA and the Getty aren't the only art venues in town, and that it's ok to visit museums and other "artsy" places without out-of-town relatives in tow.
Here are just a few of the highlights this month:
- Hear NoHo on Jan. 7 is an evening dedicated to emerging musical artists throughout North Hollywood.
- The Fowler Museum at UCLA is holding an opening party for the Nick Cave exhibit Meet Me at the Center of the Earth on Saturday, Jan. 9. There's a conversation with Cave and tunes spun by Jason Bentley. Tickets are $10.
- LA Stage Alliance holds its Ovation Awards, honoring the best in local theater, at the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center on Jan. 11.
- A Monday Evening Concert at Zipper Hall at the Colburn School features an evening of Mostly Californian on Jan. 11.
- Culver City hosts its Art Walkon Jan. 14.
- The Miracle Mile Art Walk is on Jan. 16.
- The LA Art Show at the Convention Center begins on Jan. 20.
- Art Los Angeles Contemporary Art Fairbegins on Jan. 28 at the Pacific Design Center.
- West Coast Songwriters hold an evening of Art in Song: A Night of Contemporary Acoustic Music at M Bar on Jan. 29.
For the full and complete calendar listings, please visit the LA Arts Month website.