Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Video of LAPD Breaking Up Large Party is Very Much a 'He Said, She Said' Situation

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

An apparent loud family birthday party in Pacoima drew a large police response in the early hours of Sunday morning, which was partially caught on video. Uploaded to YouTube, the description explains that officers were responding to loud noise complaints. Here's what they say happened before the video begins:

The daughter, brother, mother, and a cousin were already there to speak with the police. The owner follows. The officers ask for the music to remain off. If the music (acoustic) were to remain on they would fine the owner $1,500. At this time the helicopter arrives over the backyard of the residence. Angered by the owner's question about the fine, the officer then yells at the owner to have everyone out in 30 seconds or he'll call in "the team".
The owner and women ask as to why everyone has to be out all of sudden (warnings are usually given). The officers swearing, yell out that they have 20 seconds for everyone to leave the house. The women ask for more time as there were elderly people present and a portion of the family members were remaining for the night. The officers agree to let the owners allow family members inside the house with the condition everyone else exits. As the owners walk back in to gather everyone to advise of the situation the police start following. When they approached the side fence, the owner's daughter asked them to wait as they were promised time. "F$@! that! I'm tired of your sh#@$!". The officer using his baton pins her up against the wall. The owner/father questions the actions. The swearing of the officer progresses even more and orders the officers and "the team" in. The owners trying to close the fence, find an officer was able to stick the baton in and the scuffling begins. As they rushed in and swung at everyone in their path closely trampling 2 little girls.

But the police have a totally different story.

According to the LAPD, responding officers were met by about 60 to 70 people. As backup arrived, people began throwing rocks, bottles, cans and other items at them, leaving one officer with a concussion after being hit on the head with a heavy object. He was taken to the hospital.

Support for LAist comes from

Police say a skirmish line was eventually formed when more officers were assaulted. Nine people were arrested when all was said and done. Crimes included assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer.

Due to complaints about excessive force, internal affairs is investigating.