This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Life on the Other Side
- KNX1070 is reporting that "a police manhunt is ongoing West of a Washington Mutual bank at Ventura and Topanga Canyon in Woodland Hills. Authorities are searching for two armed kidnapping suspects."
- Things were something close to touch-and-go late this afternoon on the Blue Line near 5501 S Long Beach Ave when a female pedestrian fell near the tracks as a train passed by, but did not have any direct contact with the train itself.
- Local authorities are investigating a fire at UCLA professor Edythe London's house yesterday caused by a device left on her Westside home's porch. The scientist has previously been targeted by animal-rights activists in protest for the research she does that employs animals.
- 41-year-old Lauren Donohue has been arrested for the stabbing murder of her own mother, which took place yesterday inside the 69-year-old woman's Simi Valley home. Donohue's motive for killing her mother remains unknown as police investigate the brutal crime.
- A manhunt was on for several hours today when reports of a young masked gunman on the campus of a Van Nuys elementary school surfaced. The search was eventually called off, but the boy was not found.
- One less swanky shindig to go to on Oscar Night: Vanity Fair hascanceled their annual post-awards bash, this year to have been held for the first time at the popular Craft in Century City, citing the uncertainty of the state of the WGA strike and a bizarre kind of solidarity.
- Toxicology reports released today say that actor Heath Ledger's death was the result of a lethal combination of six prescription drugs taken over an extended period of time. The deadly mix of painkillers, sleeping pills, and anti-depressants caused Ledger's accidental overdose on January 22.
- She's out! Doctors have released Britney Spears from UCLA medical center today, where she has been held for psychiatric care and evaluation for a week. Today a court issued a restraining order against Sam Lutfi, Spears' manager, at the behest of the singer's mother.
Photo by GarySe7en via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.