Extra, Extra: Future So Bright
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- 19-year-old alleged gang member Pedro Espinoza entered a not guilty plea today for the murder of Jamiel Shaw. Shaw, the 17-year-old high schooler, was gunned down near his home early last month.
- Mayor Tony's former lady friend and ousted tv reporter Mirthala Salinas opens up about her affair in an upcoming Los Angeles mag interview. She calls the relationship a "learning experience" and is now engaged to another man.
- Redevelopment plans are in the works in Buena Park for the space occupied by the former Movieland Wax Museum, which closed down in 2005. In its place might be an entertainment complex a la Universal Citywalk (hmmmm) that includes a television studio.
- Not to spoil the surprise, but be warned if you're going to be in the vicinity of Del Mar and St. John in Pasadena around 8:30 tomorrow morning--the cops are staging a car wreck to scare the beejebus out of Maranatha High School students. Dudes, don't drink and drive! And stay in school! Just say no! Use a condom! So much to learn...
- Sprucing up San Pedro...Out: Old MTA bus yard. In: 9 acres park at 54th and San Pedro. Oh, and some big digital billboards (how pretty!).
- Cute & fuzzy alert: 14 baby ducklings had to be rescued from a storm drain today in Garden Grove.
- Chicken and waffles and an extra "s"--that's not how we play it, Chicago! A restaurant in the Windy City calling itself Rosscoe's Chicken and Waffles (with a familiar logo and menu items to boot) is getting served by the LA original--served orders to cut it out, that is!