Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Couple Killed By Inglewood Police Were Unconscious When Officers Arrived

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A man and woman who were shot and killed by Inglewood Police last weekend were both reportedly unconscious when police first showed up at the vehicle the couple was sitting in, according to new details of the shooting the Mayor of Inglewood revealed to NBC 4.

This troubling revelation complicates the original account from Inglewood Police originally reported after the shooting occurred.

Inglewood police responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle parked close to the intersection of Inglewood Avenue and Manchester Boulevards at around 3 a.m. on the morning of Sunday February 21. Upon arrival, they discovered two people, Kisha Michael, 31, and Marquintan Sandlin, 32, both unconscious in the vehicle.

Upon seeing the unconscious couple in the car, Inglewood Mayor James Butts explained to NBC 4 how "the officers retreated, isolated the vehicle, and spent about 45 minutes attempting to rouse the occupants and to deescalate the situation."

Support for LAist comes from

Originally, Inglewood police said officers opened fire on the couple after they noticed the woman had a gun. According to the department, officers ordered both people in the car to exit before taking cover and opening fire.

At some point before the shooting, an officer can be heard on a police radio transmission saying the woman had a gun in her right hand. However, it's still unclear why officers opened fire, or if the couple were even conscious at the time—the department has been mum on the subject.

"Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened," said Inglewood Mayor Butts told KNBC in an effort to explain on his police department's behalf.

A total of seven children survive the two victims: Michael was a single mother of three sons, and Sandlin a single father of four daughters. According to their families, the two were on a date that night.

LAist has reached out to Inglewood Police, but has not received a response as of this writing.