This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Video: The LAFD Wants You to Worry About Your Dog Setting Your House on Fire
Be afraid...be very afraid: Your dog could accidentally set your house on fire!
The Los Angeles Fire Department points us towards a video produced by The Pet Collective showing Hali Hudson and her 8-year-old Corgi, Yogi, and how Yogi is so excited to get into the cabinets where all the household cleaning supplies are.
But when Yogi bites into a spray paint can, things unravel rapidly from bad to worse.
First, there's the pop of the can and the mess of toxic paint on Yogi and in the kitchen. Then there's the chemical reaction that causes a small explosion and a fire to break out.
Holy crap, right?
"We're pleased to say the 8 year-old pet, humans and Los Angeles household survived the interaction between flammable paint fumes and a kitchen ignition source," notes the LAFD on their blog.
So how did all this happen? Hudson and Yogi were filming a show called "Pet Sense" about dogs with issues (Yogi's issue, not surprisingly, is that he "attacks" cleaning supplies). When Hudson took Yogi into the bathroom to clean off the paint, the pilot light from the stove ignited the paint, which caused the explosion and fire.
Hudson talks about what happened in this follow-up video:
What's the take-away for us humans here? The LAFD says pet owners should "get busy on hazard abatement in your home, before a two- or four-legged member of your household causes what you may have once thought impossible." Boom!