Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

Arts and Entertainment

Video: ArcLight Evacuated Because Of Burning Popcorn

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

We might have to rethink that metaphor about "shouting fire in a theater" because patrons at the ArcLight Hollywood seemed to be in no hurry to get out of the smoky theater last night.

A popcorn machine overheated and caught fire briefly, causing the upper floor to get a little smoky, according to the Los Angeles Times. It happened around 7 pm, and then about 2,000 people was evacuated for a half-hour before the theaters were reopened.

No one was hurt or trampled or anything, because—as the video above shows—everyone actually seemed a little reluctant to actually get out of the theater.