Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Man Almost Dies Trying To Save His Cat From An Apartment Fire

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

A man was critically injured after he went into his burning Van Nuys apartment to save his pet cat on Sunday.

The fire was reported at 1:23 p.m. at a three-story apartment on the 8100 block of Langdon Avenue, according to CBS Los Angeles. The 50-year-old man had gotten out of his apartment safely, but then went back in to save his pet.

Firefighters had to rescue the man and rushed him to the hospital. He was in critical condition from smoke inhalation. His cat is reported to be doing fine and is being taken care of by the man's neighbors.

The blaze was knocked down in 16 minutes, according to City News Service. Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department said that the man was cooking when the fire started from a kitchen ventilation fan and spread through the apartment.