This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Earthquakes, Zappa, Spector & More
- Only one major event for the Los Angeles Fire Department today in which 30 firefighters quickly fought a three-story commercial building at 515 S. Los Angeles St.
- Lindsay Lohan lawyers claim she's innocent in the crash involving Raymundo Ortega and his black Mercedes, citing that Ortega made an illegal U-Turn to snag a parking space putting him in Lohan's tracks. The case will go to trial in April.
- Five oriental fruit flies have been found in the South Bay area. Why are county health officials worried? Because once females lay their eggs in your fruit, maggots hatch! Yummy!
- When there's one earthquake, expect another in another part of the world soon after: At 4:10 a.m. PDT today, an 8.2 quake shook off the coast of Indonesia. At 4:48 this afternoon, a second earthquake struck the area, this time a 7.5.
- Closer to home, two earthquakes struck Riverside County this morning. At 3.7 at 4:30 a.m. and a 3.2 at 7:20 a.m.
- No verdict yet after day three of jury deliberations at the Phil Spector trial. The judge gave very specific instructions about tonight: "'Dateline NBC' is doing a special on this case tonight. You are not to watch the show."
- The government will be paying a handsome $55-million to a 9-year-old Orange County girl who was hit and paralyzed from the neck down on Mother's Day, 2002, by an U.S. Army Official running a red light.
- You too can own land where "Jim Morrison, Frank Zappa and Joni Mitchell are known to have held impromptu gigs back in the '60s."
Photo by nailmaker via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.