Extra, Extra: Triathlon Traffic Tomorrow & More...
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- Last minute plans? Try some culture via ExperienceLA's calendar. Or try our picks for tonight: Canon at Union Station, Pee Wee's Big Adventure at Angel City Drive-In, or Tonight in Rock.
- Toady, Oprah Winfrey held a swanky fundraiser for Barack Obama south of Santa Barbara expecting to raise $3-million.
- Hot chick boards Southwest plane, finds her seat, gets kicked off for being too sexy.
- The LA Triathlon is tomorrow morning. Find out if you'll be affected or not by street closures.
- The Riverside (91) Freeway through Corona this weekend is all fucked up. Find out why and how to get around it at NBC4.
- A man posing as a firefighter for years, even at the site of the World Trader Center, was arrested in Orange County for his deception.
- One major apartment fire for the Los Angeles Fire Department today in the Hollywood area where the LAPD were first on scene fighting with their extinguishers. Daily News has the story, LAFD Alert has the play by play.
- The LAPD has some new toys for fighting terrorism. A new radiation detection device for a helicopter, 6 similar hand held devices for the ground and a new bomb squad truck with robot. "We come right behind them because of the special assets we have: the port, the airport and just the symbolism of so much of what they hate," Chief Bratton said. Also, he announced "that Los Angeles may be on track to have fewer than 400 homicides this year for the first time since 1970."
- If you want to go swimming, get your own boat: three were arrested for jumping off one of the ferries between Long Beach and Catalina.
- The drought were in could last for 100 years.