This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Triathlon Traffic Tomorrow & More...
- Last minute plans? Try some culture via ExperienceLA's calendar. Or try our picks for tonight: Canon at Union Station, Pee Wee's Big Adventure at Angel City Drive-In, or Tonight in Rock.
- Toady, Oprah Winfrey held a swanky fundraiser for Barack Obama south of Santa Barbara expecting to raise $3-million.
- Hot chick boards Southwest plane, finds her seat, gets kicked off for being too sexy.
- The LA Triathlon is tomorrow morning. Find out if you'll be affected or not by street closures.
- The Riverside (91) Freeway through Corona this weekend is all fucked up. Find out why and how to get around it at NBC4.
- A man posing as a firefighter for years, even at the site of the World Trader Center, was arrested in Orange County for his deception.
- One major apartment fire for the Los Angeles Fire Department today in the Hollywood area where the LAPD were first on scene fighting with their extinguishers. Daily News has the story, LAFD Alert has the play by play.
- The LAPD has some new toys for fighting terrorism. A new radiation detection device for a helicopter, 6 similar hand held devices for the ground and a new bomb squad truck with robot. "We come right behind them because of the special assets we have: the port, the airport and just the symbolism of so much of what they hate," Chief Bratton said. Also, he announced "that Los Angeles may be on track to have fewer than 400 homicides this year for the first time since 1970."
- If you want to go swimming, get your own boat: three were arrested for jumping off one of the ferries between Long Beach and Catalina.
- The drought were in could last for 100 years.
Photo by ~db~ via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.