This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra - Another Tornado, CSI:NY & More...
- Today, notable incidents for the LA Fire Department included mutual aid with the LA County Fire Department for a brush fire at the 14 and 5 freeway junction and a near drowning of an 8-year-old boy at a public pool off of Foothill Blvd. He was saved by lifeguards and airlifted to a hospital.
- A small plane crashed in Kern County with 4 adults and two children, all residents of Santa Monica.
- Another tornado situation north of Lancaster in addition to the earlier warning today in Lake Elisinore.
- For this Labor Day weekend, there have been two roadway deaths in Los Angeles County and CHP officers have arrested 95 motorists on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, down from last year's total of 112.
- Recent power outages reported in Eagle Rock and Sherman Oaks.
- Endangered smelt fish in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta could effect Los Angeles' water supply levels.
- CSI:NY delivered letters to downtown residents who were rudely woken at up 4:30 a.m. by 30-40 cars in a traffic jam scene: "Someone on the production team thought it would be much more realistic if the 30 - 40 cars we had on the street honked their horns."
- Department of Animal Services Commissioner, Marie Atake of Forte Animal Rescue, resigned yesterday over remarks made on Department Head Ed Boks' blog.
Photo of a window in Chinatown by Adamina via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.