Extra, Extra: A Little James Taylor for Your Friday Night
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Fire: La Salle Avenue Elementary School sustained damage today, but no injuries were reported, due to a fire on the second floor this afternoon.
- Rain: A small tornado did indeed land on shore last night in Ventura County which is probably what led the NWS to issue last night's tornado warning for LA. It was an "empty air station hangar at the Naval Base Ventura County at Point Mugu" that took the hit, losing its roof in the process.
- Fire: A three-alarm blaze took over the roof of the Monte Carlo casino and hotel in Las Vegas today. The building was evacuated, and no rooms burned. The cause of the fire is being investigated.
- Rain: Heavy downpours led to mudslides in the San Fernando Valley this afternoon.
- Fire (or at least a match or a lighter required): For those of you who have a scrip for marijuana, you can now pick up your pot from one of two vending machines that will be operational by Monday. The "weed ATMs" have been installed in two medical marijuana dispensaries in Los Angeles, and are the first of their kind in the world.
- Sunny days: Metro announced yesterday they will be moving forward on plans to use solar power.
- Lonely times, find a friend: Mary Kate Olsen insists she and late actor Heath Ledger were "just friends" or, as some claim, "friends with benefits."
- See you again: Or at least see these awesome peeps interviewed today by LAist: Rapper Talib Kweli, comic Bill Bellamy, and Guns N'Roses scribe Marc Canter.
Photo by the_toe_stubber via Flickr