Extra, Extra: A Little James Taylor for Your Friday Night
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- Fire: La Salle Avenue Elementary School sustained damage today, but no injuries were reported, due to a fire on the second floor this afternoon.
- Rain: A small tornado did indeed land on shore last night in Ventura County which is probably what led the NWS to issue last night's tornado warning for LA. It was an "empty air station hangar at the Naval Base Ventura County at Point Mugu" that took the hit, losing its roof in the process.
- Fire: A three-alarm blaze took over the roof of the Monte Carlo casino and hotel in Las Vegas today. The building was evacuated, and no rooms burned. The cause of the fire is being investigated.
- Rain: Heavy downpours led to mudslides in the San Fernando Valley this afternoon.
- Fire (or at least a match or a lighter required): For those of you who have a scrip for marijuana, you can now pick up your pot from one of two vending machines that will be operational by Monday. The "weed ATMs" have been installed in two medical marijuana dispensaries in Los Angeles, and are the first of their kind in the world.
- Sunny days: Metro announced yesterday they will be moving forward on plans to use solar power.
- Lonely times, find a friend: Mary Kate Olsen insists she and late actor Heath Ledger were "just friends" or, as some claim, "friends with benefits."
- See you again: Or at least see these awesome peeps interviewed today by LAist: Rapper Talib Kweli, comic Bill Bellamy, and Guns N'Roses scribe Marc Canter.
Photo by the_toe_stubber via Flickr