Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Christmas Tree Lights on Fire in Northridge Apartment

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
5b2b561a4488b30009266d59-original.jpg

A couple in their twenties who placed a candle under their Christmas Tree are probably feeling grateful they survived the fire they started around 9:45 p.m. tonight. Luckily, the newish two-story apartment building at 19039 Nordhoff Street in Northridge had a sprinkler system that extinguished the blaze before fire trucks arrived (sidenote: whatever happened to Season 2 American Inventor winner and Ventura County Firefighter Greg Chavez' Guardian Angel for situations just like this?). The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage--about half to the structure and half to personal items. No one was hurt, a good thing, especially for a holiday night like this. The last time someone died in Los Angeles due to a Christmas Tree fire was in 2006.