Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Suspect Found Dead In City Terrace Home After Standoff With SWAT

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

An armed man who entered and then barricaded himself in a City Terrace home was found dead when authorities entered the residence after an hours-long standoff Tuesday.

The incident started as a home invasion in the 3600 block of Floral Drive at around 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, according to Fox 11. Sheriff's deputies say that the suspect had entered the home, which was occupied by three residents, and got into a fight with one of them. One of the residents engaged in a gunfight with the suspect. The residents then ran outside, leaving the suspect behind at the home. Fox 11 reports that one of the residents had suffered a gunshot wound to the upper torso; it's unclear at the moment if the injury is life-threatening.

The suspect barricaded himself inside the home, and a SWAT team and crisis negotiators were called to the scene. The standoff was declared over around 11:30 a.m., with authorities saying that they'd discovered the suspect dead inside the house. "After several verbal attempts by LASD Crisis Negotiations Team members to persuade the suspect’s surrender, the SEB special weapons team made entry into the residence where the suspect was located deceased," the Sheriff's department said in a statement.

Support for LAist comes from

It has not been announced how the suspect had died. No deputies were injured during the incident.

Fox 11 says they'd received a report that the suspect's ex-girlfriend lived at the residence, but this was not confirmed by deputies.