Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Bear Hit By Car Near 210 Freeway Euthanized, Had 'catastrophic' Injuries

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

A bear was struck by a car near the 210 Freeway in La Crescenta Sunday morning, but managed to wander from the scene, to be spotted several hours later near a retail development in neighboring La Cañada-Flintridge. Unfortunately, the bear was euthanized because the bear's injuries were so severe.

The accident took place at approximately 7 a.m., as reported by a citizen calling the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Crescenta Valley Station, according to authorities. The accident scene was described as "near the intersection of Foothill Blvd. and Vineta Ave, just south of the 210 freeway in La Crescenta," according to the LASD.

Deputies did not find the bear, however, when they went to the scene.

About six hours later, the Station received a call from a woman who said she saw a bear sitting under a tree behind the Starbucks at Foothill Boulevard and Gould Avenue. The woman noted she had kept her eye on the bear and noticed the animal was walking with a limp.

Support for LAist comes from

When the deputies got to the Starbucks, they saw the bear move back into the bushes in the direction of the 210 Freeway.

Deputies "immediately contacted the California Department of Fish and Game and continue to monitor the bear," explains the LASD.

In response, a warden with the CDFG came to the area, located the bear, and shot it with a tranquilizer dart. The bear then climbed a tree near the freeway.

Additionally, Sheriff's Sgt. Cynthia Gonzalez said deputies shut down eastbound lanes of the 210 Freeway at Gould Avenue to make sure the bear did not flee back in front of cars, reports L.A. Now.

The bear remained in the tree for about half an hour, before wardens with the CDFG could remove it from the area safely.

Support for LAist comes from

The LASD describes the unfortunate conclusion to the bear's harrowing experience:

Upon closer inspection of the bear, the wardens determined that the injuries sustained due to the vehicle collision were catastrophic. The bear was euthanized at about 4:00PM in order to end its suffering.