Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


South Pasadena Man Sentenced To 25 Years To Life For Murder Of Five-Year-Old Son

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Aramazd Andressian Sr., the South Pasadena man accused of murdering his five-year-old son earlier this year, was sentenced Wednesday to 25 years to life in prison.

Andressian Sr. had initially maintained his innocence during a months-long search for Aramazd Andressian Jr., who was reported missing in late April. Andressian Sr. would later plead guilty on August 1 after he was arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

The L.A. Times reports that Wednesday's sentencing hearing at an Alhambra courtroom was attended by Ana Estevez, Andressian Sr.'s estranged wife and the mother of the child. “I hope you relive the image of you murdering my baby in your mind for the rest of your life,” said Estevez, who was crying. “I pity you. You are a failure as a father. You are a failure as a man. You are a failure as a human being.”

"When you die may your dark soul burn in eternal hell," she added, according to NBC4. "The light of my life is extinguished forever."

Support for LAist comes from

As reported at KTLA, L.A. County Sheriff’s Department detectives say that Andressian Sr. had smothered the child with a jacket an hour before leaving his body in Santa Barbara County on April 2. They add that Andressian Sr. had been planning the murder three or four months before the act, and that he'd also intended to kill himself and frame Estevez as the killer.

The search for Andressian Jr. spanned two months. He was first reported missing by Estevez, who'd said in late April that her son and Andressian Sr., who shared guardianship of the child, had failed to show up at a scheduled drop-off. The same day that Estevez made the call, Andressian Sr. was found passed out near his car in Arroyo Park in South Pasadena. Authorities later revealed that the car had been doused in gasoline. Andressian Sr. was detained but later released on lack of evidence.

In late June, the L.A. County District Attorney's office filed a murder charge against Andressian Sr. He was later extradited back to Los Angeles from Las Vegas to face the charges. Authorities said at the time that they believed he'd killed his son as an act of vengeance against Estevez—the two were reportedly going through a "tumultuous divorce."

A report by Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services showed that, during the time of Andressian Sr.'s extradition from Vegas, he told authorities that he'd "harmed" his son, and revealed to them the location of the body. Andressian Jr.'s body was recovered on June 30 near Lake Cachuma in Santa Barbara County.