Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


South Pasadena Father Pleads Guilty To Murder Of Five-Year-Old Son

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Aramazd Andressian Sr., who is accused of murdering his five-year-old son to get back at his estranged wife during divorce proceedings, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder at a court hearing on Tuesday, reports ABC 7.

He is expected to face a sentence of 25 years to life in prison, if convicted. As noted at CBS 2, he'd previously pled not guilty and was being held on $10 million bail.

According to The San Gabriel Valley Tribune, a Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services report shows that Andressian Sr. had told the agency in late June (his son, Aramazd Andressian Jr., went missing in April) that he'd harmed the child and had left him in Santa Barbara. The report also states that he'd informed sheriff's investigators where the body was located. Andressian Jr.'s body was found on June 30 near Lake Cachuma in Santa Barbara County—about two months after he was first reported missing by his mother.

According to court documents obtained by ABC 7, Andressian Sr. and his wife Ana Estevez were going through a tumultuous period in which the two were lobbing serious accusations at each other. Estevez claimed that Andressian Jr. had returned from a five-day visitation with his father with an injury to his penis, as well as diaper rash and athlete's foot. Andressian Sr. claimed that Estevez's family prohibited him from say his prayer to the holy spirit, and demanded that he be referred to as Pique instead of the name he shares with his father.

Support for LAist comes from

Andressian Sr. also alleged that his son was being molested by another boy, Omar. Andressian Sr. said he'd hired a private investigator to track down the vehicle owned by Omar's father. And when they—Andressian Sr. and his son—drove by Omar's house, the son became agitated. It's unclear what relation Omar has to Andressian Jr.

Andressian Jr. was first reported missing on April 22. His mother claimed that both he and his father had failed to show up at an arranged meeting in which Andressian Sr. was to drop off their son to Estevez. On the same day Estevez contacted police, Andressian Sr. was found passed out by his car at Arroyo Park in South Pasadena. Authorities later revealed that his car was doused in gasoline. Andressian Sr. was detained but later released for lack of evidence.

Before the discovery of the body, the L.A. County district attorney's office had filed murder charges against Andressian Sr., who had gone off to Vegas by then. He was arrested and later extradited back to L.A. to face the charges. The L.A. County Sheriff's department said their detectives suspected that Andressian Sr. had killed his son as an act of revenge against Estevez.

A funeral for Andressian Jr. was held July 18.