American Idol: Is Melinda Frontin?
So the girls hit the American Idol stage last night, and they proved once again that they can sing so much better than the boys this season. So the question on our minds this morning is whether co-front-runner Melinda Doolittle (heads and shoulders above the pack with LaKisha Jones) is just frontin.
Can she really be that meek and unsure about her singing? She comes on stage like a lion and leaves like a lamb. We'd like to believe that the "aw shucks" scaredy cat mannerisms aren't a show -- because she is a GREAT singer and we'd love to see her win. And we'd rather have her humble than all diva-like, but in a world of posers, we really can't be sure.
So here's how the ladies stacked up last night, from worst to first:
8. Antonella Barba's rendtion of Corinne Bailey Ray's "Put Your Records On" was better than her Aerosmith song. But not by much. After her performance, Simon actually said, "I wish you could sing better" to her. Ouch.
7. Haley Scarnato's take on Faith Hills' "If My Heart had Wings" was like a scoop of Ralphs vanilla ice cream drizzed with vanilla syrup.
6. Sabrina Sloan, who looks a little like Gloria Estefan, had an unmemorable performance. We really can't remember the song she sang.
5. Gina Glockson had the unfortunate choice of Evanescence's "Call Me when You’re Sober." We hate that song. Actually, we hate Evanescence, too, so that's why she comes in here.
4. Jordin Sparks took on "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar. She had a good energy about her, though the song was weak.
3. Stephanie Edwards tried to cover "Sweet Thing" by Chaka Khan. While it was nowhere near as good, it was a commendable try.
2. There is one rule in American Idol is to never cover a Whitney Houston song. Because most people can't do it. But LaKisha Jones tried -- and did "I Have Nothing" pretty damn well.
1. Melinda Doolittle's bluesy rendition of "I’m a Woman" was a showstopper. Despite her shyness.
Tonight at 8 pm, four more will booted off the show.
Photo from American Idol