Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Man Kidnaps A Woman In Front Of An Off-Duty FBI Agent, Leads Police On Wild Chase To Malibu

Support your source for local news!
Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

A high speed car chase and a standoff in Malibu all happened last night after a man allegedly kidnapped a woman outside a gym, only to be caught in the act by an off-duty FBI agent.

It was around 7 p.m. in the parking lot of an L.A. Fitness in Chatsworth when an off-duty FBI agent spotted a man forcing a woman into a black BMW, CBS LA reports. A witness said the agent warned her to duck down in her car and lock her doors.

The agent approached the man and gunfire was exchanged between the man and the agent—witnesses say they heard five or six shots fired. The agent was not hit, but it appears that he did manage to hit the BMW several times, as news choppers show the car riddled with bullet holes. Reports say the man may have also been struck.

The man took off with the woman in the car, but let her out before taking off on the 101 Freeway.

Support for LAist comes from

A high speed pursuit ended when he got off at Las Virgenes Road, racing down surface streets until he hit a dead end at Bluffs Park in Malibu.

He got out of the BMW and fled on foot, carrying a gun. He ran through the park, then up a hillside, stumbling and falling in the brush. Eventually, the suspect collapsed, either from exhaustion or injury. At some point, he tossed the gun.

The police closed off traffic on Malibu Canyon Road and moved in. At 8:30 p.m., he began moving down the hill towards officers, but stopped shortly and surrendered.

At about 9 p.m., SWAT officers arrested him and put him in an ambulance. His condition remains unknown.

The woman he was allegedly caught kidnapping was also taken to the hospital. Her condition also remains unknown.

Most Read