Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

3rd Grader Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Another Boy While Watching Movies In Class

Before you read more...
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A third-grade student has been accused of sexually assaulting another student between five to seven times since last year.

Authorities are currently investigating the alleged incidents between the two boys that took place at Adams Elementary School in Riverside, which school officials discovered on Monday, according to the Press-Enterprise.

"One of the young boys apparently was coercing another young boy to perform sexual acts,"Jacquie Paul, spokeswoman for the Riverside Unified School District, told the L.A. Times.

Paul told the Press-Enterprise that the incidents happened at school during times teachers may not have been able to see what was going on, such as while the students were watching movies and using the restroom.

Support for LAist comes from

This situation first came to the attention of officials when a group of students from an after-school program told a coordinator about the incidents. The school immediately contacted the Riverside Police Department and Child Protective Services. Officials do not believe any other students have been harmed, reported CBS Los Angeles.

The school sent out notices to parents on Wednesday about the incidents and have since taken disciplinary actions against the offending student. The L.A. Times reported that the student has been suspended and could be expelled. Also, the two teachers who may have been around at the time the assaults took place were placed on administrative leave, reported the Press-Enterprise.