Support for LAist comes from
True LA stories, powered by you
Stay Connected

Share This

News

26K People Still in the Dark After Winds Knocked Out Power

Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.

While for most of us last week's windstorm is a fading memory, there are over 26,000 Los Angeles area residents who remain without power thanks to widespread outages in areas serviced by Southern California Edison and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

As of this morning, SCE reports they have 26,783 customers without power, mostly in the San Gabriel Valley and Foothill communities. SCE says they will have power back on for those folks by 8 p.m. Monday. The number of trees that fell not only knocked down power lines but also made it difficult for crews to get access.

The LADWP says they have been able to get the power back for all but a few customers.

Los Angeles is under a red flag warning again this morning, as winds are expected to pick back up today, however, they are "not supposed to be quite as dramatic as the winds that downed tons of trees and cut off power to a quarter million last Wednesday and Thursday," notes KPCC.