Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


16-Year-Old Boy Charged As An Adult In Fatal Shooting Of Police Officer

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

A 16-year-old boy has been charged as an adult in the murder of Downey Police Officer Ricky Galvez. Abel Diaz, who will turn 17 next week, has been charged as an adult with one count of murder, according to City News Service. If convicted, Diaz faces life in prison, according to a release from the L.A. County District Attorney's Office.

In addition to Diaz, police have arrested two men, 18 and 21, whose identities have not been revealed.

On Wednesday night at about 11 p.m., 29-year-old Officer Ricky Galvez was seated in the driver's seat of his own car in a parking lot near the Downey Police Department. Two people approached his car and one allegedly opened fire, killing him. Galvez had attended an off-site training shift earlier and while on duty at the time of the attack, he was not wearing his uniform. While investigators initially thought that Galvez had been targeted, they later said that it appeared that the men were unaware Galvez was a police officer and were attempting to rob him.

Police say Diaz and the other two men fled in a vehicle after killing Galvez, but a patrol officer heard the gunfire and gave chase. The pursuit ended in Montebello when the men jumped out of the car and tried to flee on foot. The 21-year-old driver was arrested while trying to escape through backyards in the area, and the other two were taken into custody after they were spotted running into a home. Officers later found the gun they believe was used in the shooting.

Support for LAist comes from

Galvez had been a member of the police force for 5 years, following one tour each in Afghanistan and Iraq as a U.S. Marine. He is survived by his mother, two sisters and brother.

Downey Police Chief Carl Charles said that Galvez, "was a tremendous young man, who loved serving the residents of Downey. His smile was infectious, and his professionalism was always on display," according to the Press Telegram.