This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
It's Veterans Day: Here's What's Happening in LA County
At the Arlington West project in Santa Monica (Photo by roostercoupon via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr)
Today is Veteran's Day, when the US pauses and asks we remember those who have served the country. Here's some of what you can expect today as part of the holiday.Public Services
- Government offices, agencies, banks, courts, post offices, and several schools are closed.
- Trash pick up in Los Angeles will operate as usual and Metro-operated buses and trains, Metrolink trains and Foothill Transit will run on a normal schedule.
- The San Fernando Valley Veterans Day Parade begins at 11:11 a.m. at Laurel Canyon and San Fernando Mission boulevards in Mission Hills, and will travel south on Laurel Canyon Boulevard 1.1 miles and end at Ritchie Valens Park in Pacoima, and will include a flyover by the World War II-era Flying Condor Squadron from Van Nuys.
- Forest Lawn will conduct its 50th annual Veterans Day program, with the theme, "A Celebration of Heroes." It begins at 11 a.m. and includes live musical and aerial performances.
- Redondo Beach's "Honor Our Veterans Tribute" will include a 2 p.m. groundbreaking for a Veterans Memorial in Veterans Park, which is adjacent to the Redondo Beach Pier.
- The Los Angeles National Cemetary in Westwood has a program beginning at 11 a.m. that includes remarks from Gov. Schwarzenegger.
- In West Hollywood, the Holloway Park Veterans Memorial will be rededicated as the Sal Guarriello Veterans' Memorial in a ceremony and celebration that begins at 11 a.m.
- A candlelight vigil honoring veterans takes place tonight at the Airtel Hotel in Van Nuys from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Entrance fees are waived today at all lands managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation, and the Department of Agriculture also is waiving entrance fees at its national forests.
Event sources: CBS2, MyFoxLA, City of West Hollywood
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.