This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Arrrrrrr, Mateys! Tomorrow is Talk Like a Pirate Day
Besides injecting your speech with some salty sea-worthy sayings, there are a few celebrations planned around town where you can raise a pint of grog and rejoice that you're not a landlubber. You can use this English-to-Pirate translator to help you with the lingo.
Want to land yourself a pirate lad or lady? How about some Pirate-themed pick up lines...
10 . Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?
9. Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm?
8. Come on up and see me urchins.
7. Yes, that is a hornpipe in my pocket and I am happy to see you.
6. I'd love to drop anchor in your lagoon.
5. Pardon me, but would ya mind if I fired me cannon through your porthole?
4. How'd you like to scrape the barnacles off of me rudder?
3. Ya know, darlin’, I’m 97 percent chum free.
2. Well blow me down?
And the number one pickup line for use on International Talk Like a Pirate Day is …
1. Prepare to be boarded.
...and for the Ladies:
10. What are YOU doing here?
9. Is that a belayin' pin in yer britches, or are ye ... (this one is never completed)
8. Come show me how ye bury yer treasure, lad!
7. So, tell me, why do they call ye, "Cap'n Feathersword?"
6. That's quite a cutlass ye got thar, what ye need is a good scabbard!
5. Aye, I guarantee ye, I've had a twenty percent decrease in me "lice ratio!"
4. I've crushed seventeen men's skulls between me thighs!
3. C'mon, lad, shiver me timbers!
2. RAMMING SPEED!
...and the number one Female Pirate Pick-up Line:
1. You. Pants Off. Now!
- Brea - The Realm Games & Comics in Brea is hosting a Warmachine/Horde gaming tournament on Talk Like A Pirate Day, starting at 11:00 a.m. Sunday, September 19th. $5.00 entry fee or $10.00 product purchase.
- Fontana - NASCAR pirates! The AutoClub Speedway in Fontana is celebrating Talk Like A Pirate Day” every Tuesday this month. Buy a $35 Pepsi Rock n’ Rows ticket on any Tuesday in September and receive a free pirate eye patch and pirate hat. To take advantage of the Ticket Tuesday Offer call 800-944-RACE (7223), log on to www.autoclubspeedway.com or visit the Auto Club Speedway Ticket Office.
- Long Beach - The Long Beach Party Project is throwing its fifth annual Talk Like A Pirate Day Punk Rock Party on Sept. 19 at Clancy's, 803 E. Broadway. The party runs from 7 to 11 pm; admission is $3 for those dressed like pirates, $5 "and we make ye a pirate." Music by Battleflask, The Blob, FLB and the Disgustingtons.
- Los Angeles - Naked Girls Reading (Los Angeles chapter) presents "SEA-FAIRE!" Five beautiful naked girls reading tales of High Sea Adventure and Davey Jones Locker below with readings from Robert Louis Stevenson, Alan Moore, Jules Verne, and many more. Sunday, September 19th, 2010 at The Underground Theatre Annex, 1308 N. Wilton Place, Hollywood. Doors at 7pm / Show at 7:30pm. Adults Only / 18 & Up - Tickets at Door: $20 / Online discount tickets from www.peepshowmenagerie.com: $18. Naked Girls Reading is a group of beautiful ladies who love to read...naked. That's really it. There's not a whole lot more to it. Should there be? )
- Ojai - The Gold Coast Pirate Faire returns for another swashbuckling weekend Sept. 18-19 at Lake Casitas. One of the biggest pirate faires around, and a perennial favorite.
- Ventura - In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day Ventura Harbor Village (celebrating a day early on Sept. 18) will sponsor family activities including children’s workshops, storytelling, photos with pirates and more. Kids in costume will receive a gift. 1-4 p.m. Sept. 18, 1583 Spinnaker Drive, Ventura.