A Ciclavia Style Event Is Coming To The SGV
Open streets events are becoming more and more popular around Los Angeles, with Ciclavia being the largest in the area. From "mission-to-mission", 626 Golden Streets will be closing streets from 9am to 4pm on May 19th in Alhambra, San Gabriel, and South Pasadena for people to walk, jog, skate, bike, and play. Along with the free forum space, there will also be a 5k run named the "626 Run" and three activity hubs that will host various booths, food, entertainment and other activities.
Whether you're joining a feeder ride/walk (a group meetup that travels together to the event) or taking the Gold Line to the South Pasadena station, you can join 626 Golden Streets anywhere along the route. The event will run from the San Gabriel Mission to the South Pasadena Mission District, crossing over downtown Alhambra. Public transportation or walk/run/biking over is encouraged but you can park near the area where street parking is permitted.
626 Golden Streets seems to have something for anyone to participate in, aside from the open streets and 5k run. The event is all ages and family friendly. Here are a few of the many activities that are being organized for the SGV open streets event -
- Get hungry while you're being super active on the streets of SGV? These businesses will be providing "626 Specials" on food and drink.
- Need your bike fixed? Local bike shops will be offering complimentary basic bike repairs at each activity hub.
- Interested in eco-friendly things? There will be an "City of Alhambra ECOfest", urban gardening vendors, and electric vehicle and bike test-rides.
The event is aimed at encouraging citizens to get outside, walk and run more, take public transportation, and ultimately take a break from being inside a car. While that might be a big ask for car-focused Angelenos, many people are planning to join 626 Golden Streets and will take a mini-vacation from being behind-the-wheel.
- Sunday, May 19th from 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Streets of South Pasadena, Alhambra, San Gabriel - Map Here
- Free Event. All Ages.
For more information on 626 Golden Streets, visit their detailed website here.