Woman Dies Of Apparent Overdose At Coachella
A 24-year-old woman from Oakland died Thursday after an apparent overdose at Coachella last weekend.
Kimchi Truong collapsed in the taxi area at the festival around 2 a.m. on Sunday morning. Earlier she had sought treatment at a medical tent, according to a local NBC affiliate. She was rushed to JFK Memorial Hospital in Indio and later transferred to Desert Regional Medical Center where she spent the remainder of the week.
Truong was pronounced dead at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, the Riverside sheriff-coroner's office told the Los Angeles Times. The coroner's office is running toxicology reports, which will take about 4 weeks, but a drug or alcohol overdose is the suspected cause of death.
Goldenvoice released a statement on Truong's death:
"Last weekend, a festival attendee suffered an apparent drug overdose. The individual was seen by on-site medical staff and later transferred to JFK Memorial Hospital and later to Desert Regional Medical Center. We are saddened to learn the individual has died. We believe this to be an unfortunate but isolated incident. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends."
Indio police spokesman Ben Guitron told The Desert Sun that Coachella attendees have died in the past after returning to their hotel rooms. He wasn't sure if this is the first time someone was died after being transported to the hospital straight from the polo fields.
Friends of Truong's tweeted about her death:
RIP Kimchi. Definitely gone too soon.— Mike Madriaga (@TheMikeLegend) April 18, 2014
Heaven received a beautiful angel today. U made a good friend of mine the happiest I've ever seen & I'll 4ever thank u for that. RIP Kimchi.— Lynna Choi (@lynnaxchoi) April 17, 2014