Why We Love L.A. Summers: Chinatown Summer Nights
Summer has arrived, and we're ready to celebrate all that screams 'tis the season in Los Angeles. From sand to summit, from sips to snacks — we love L.A. summers.
The plazas of L.A.'s historic Chinatown are converted into a dance party and mini-food festival on a handful of Saturday nights during the summer. Chinatown Summer Nights is one of our favorite ways to experience the city and the neighborhood this time of year.
After you soak in some local color via cultural workshops and cooking demos you can chow down at some of the city's favorite food trucks and then hit the dance floor to groove to beats supplied by DJs from KCRW and shake your cares away under the night sky lit up with Chinatown's neon and lanterns.
This summer, Chinatown Summer Nights is on every other Saturday—July 28, August 11, and August 25—from 5 p.m. to midnight. Admission is free (you'll just pay for food, drink, and any shopping you do) and the live entertainment is free, too.
Here's the official breakdown of what you'll find at Chinatown Summer Nights:
- DJ's from acclaimed Los Angeles public radio station KCRW (Anthony Valadez, Jason Bentley, Jeremy Sole, Valida and Aaron Byrd)
- Live music stage with a hot lineup of local LA music acts
- Amateur cooking competitions based on three elements: Earth (vegetarian cuisine), Water (soups) and Fire (spicy dishes)
- LA's best gourmet food trucks & Cooking demonstrations by Chinatown Chefs
- Cultural workshops for all ages