Week Around The Ists
An 8-bit Mario designed from a stack of cans at Chicago’s South Loop Whole Foods. (Photo by Anthony Todd for Chicagoist)
It was a bad week for hipsters at Chicagoist. A hipster post-grad map of inhabitable U.S. cities inexplicably omitted Chicago; a flyer demanded "white hipsters" leave the predominantly Mexican Pilsen neighborhood; and they obtained an email from Pabst announcing they were leaving suburban Woodridge for Los Angeles.
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the ist-a-verse...
- There wasn’t a specific sub-culture that bore the brunt of Murphy’s Law this week at Seattlest, instead it was the increasingly desperate Phone Book industry that was beleaguered by bad news. Meanwhile, we were charmed by Matthew Inman, creator of The Oatmeal; became enraged as another SPD officer was given a wristslap for excessive behavior; and told weather whiners to STFU about the rain already.
- Gothamist was amazed, though maybe not shocked, to see that Brooklyn Hasidic newspaper airbrushed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton out of the White House Situation Room photograph where President Obama and other officials watched the raid on Osama bin Laden’s home. However, Gothamist was shocked that someone didn’t realize Carrie Bradshaw is a fictional character.
- Bostonist witnessed the painful injury to Rajon Rondo. That was not as painful as watching
SEAL Team Sixthe Miami Heat's final assault on and efficient elimination of the Celtics. To put basketball back into perspective, facial transplant recipient Dallas Wiens unveiled his new face this week.
- DCist spent its week debating Spike Mendelsohn’s claims that Washington is a “second-tier city." One counterargument: how could anyplace with a Craigslist hoax this good be second-rate?
- SFist was horrified by a local mother who injects Botox into her 8-year-old daughter and makes the child get bikini waxes (for pageants!). The mom is under investigation by children’s services.
- OMG: Shanghaiist learned a Hello Kitty theme park is in the works for China.
- Austinist watched as a lawmaker continued efforts to get guns on college and university campuses.
- We found out an allegedly intoxicated Hummer driver was involved in three hit-and-run crashes, killing a bicyclist when swerving into the bike lane. The driver was charged with vehicular manslaughter.