Seven Questions: Erica Domesek, Do-It-Yourself Guru
LA has a diverse cast of characters. Whether it's the characters with stirring stories or interesting occupations or the people who are just simply characters, this town has them all. In an effort to get to know some of those characters a little better, we've created "Seven Questions with..." If you have a suggestion for a future Seven Questions subject send us an email.
Today's subject is Erica Domesek, Do-It-Yourself guru and creator of PSIMadeThis.com.
In the spirit of Earth Month and looking for everyday ways to live greener, Domesek’s platform highlights reusing everyday items and turning them into fashion. On her site, she has walked readers through how to use everything from coffee stirrers and mirror clips to cupcake wrappers and electric wire to create fashionable clothing and accessories.
In her most recent project, the Dasani Green Cap program, Domesek has created a green hat out of everyday materials with a “recycle everywhere you can” message that supports the launch of Dasani’s new PlantBottle - a 100% recyclable plastic bottle that’s made from up to 30% plant materials. Starting today and running through April 21st in support of Ocean Conservancy, the first 10 consumers daily to go to SatineBoutique.com and enter their name after 9 a.m. PST/12 p.m. EST will be win a free hat and be notified on Earth Day.
1) You are doing a Green Cap program with Dasani where you work your DIY magic - tell us about it.
Dasani has a new 100 percent recyclable plastic bottle called the PlantBottle (made from up to 30 percent plant-based materials) so it’s an everyday thing we can do to live a little greener in our lives. And do-it-yourself as a movement is another green activity we can do everyday - reusing items around the house to make fashion and functional items. In that spirit, I worked with Dasani to create a limited-edition line of green-colored hats in support of Ocean Conservancy (green like the caps on the new bottle) out of everyday materials you’d have around the house - sweatpants, zipper from hoodie, buttons, etc. DIY for Earthmonth!
2) You’ve made the green hat out of sweats, buttons, thread, etc with an overall recycling message. If I gave you a deck of cards, saran wrap, lip gloss and a box of tissues, what could you recycle that into?
Saran Wrap- use the tube. Make into a statement necklace, a la Louis Vuitton (think chain necklace!).
Deck of cards -- one deck- make mobile with some chopsticks and fishing line. Several decks--- decoupage a powder room instead of wall paper
Box of tissues -- spray paint high gloss, fun color and convert into a tech accessory charging station for your ipods, mobile device, camera, etc!
Lip Gloss -- wear it when you're crafting!
3) What’s the most MacGyver thing you’ve ever created out of something else?
- Rolls of clear tape into a statement necklace
- Mailing tube into cuff bracelet
- Cheese graters into "chrome" earrings
4) Are there any celebrities who are involved with D-I-Y? Who would you most want to do a project with?
Some crafty people that come to mind:
- Jennifer Garner (she even named her dog after Martha Stewart)
- Heidi Klum; she has great style and loves doing projects with her kids!
- Would love love to do something With Amy Pohler!
5) You are hosting an Earth Day event for the Dasani Green Cap program at Satine (SatineBoutique.com) in LA on April 21st - where are your favorite places to do crafts in LA?
I love picking up odd n ends at the Fairfax/Melrose flea market. They have pieces I turned into jewelry and home décor accents that I love to give as gifts. I've purchased an amazing turquoise vintage toolbox that I keep on display at home. Its one of my most coveted possessions.
6) What are 3 everyday items our readers should immediately see as “re-usable?”
Water bottles- I've done so many fun projects w Dasani Plant Bottles from bracelets to chandeliers!
- Save jelly and condiment jars to hold crafts supplies
- Magazines! I never throw away- always save bold glossy pages to collage gift wrap
7) If your Do-It-Yourself work was going to have a theme song, what would it be?
I would mix Beastie Boys, "She's Crafty" w/ Peter Gabriel's " D.I.Y"