6 Tips to Get You the Most out of dineLA 's Restaurant Week
DineLA lets diners eat well for less, like this lamb dish earlier this year at Campanile (Photo by Elise Thompson/LAist)
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your Restaurant Week experiences:
- If you have an American Express card, register it NOW. Why? If you use an American Express card to pay for three meals (16 dollars minimum) for Restaurant Week, you will get 20 dollars back as statement credit. Basically, this means if you buy three lunches at 16 dollars with your REGISTERED American Express card, you will be charged 48 dollars and receive a 20 dollar credit. 28 dollars for three three course lunches is not too bad at all. This is only at the restaurants listed for Restaurant Week.
- Make a reservation. You can even call on the day of, and try to mention that you'll be dining there for Restaurant Week, to avoid any confusion. Since it is Restaurant Week, restaurants may be busier than normal so having a reservation also ensures that you'll have a table even if it's busy.
- Tip a little extra. We're all a little lighter in the wallet these days, businesses included. Restaurant Week is a great opportunity for you to try new restaurants and for restaurants to showcase their talents and draw new customers. If these restaurants do well, they will be encouraged to do it again in the future. These meals aren't the most profitable ones, and you've probably saved some money from eating the prix fixe menu. An extra 3% or 5% shouldn't hurt your budget, and it will help encourage these restaurants and other restaurants to join in for future Restaurant Weeks.
4. If you want to get the biggest bang for your buck, avoid restaurants that add special menu items for Dine LA that aren't on their regular menu. These are usually new or cheaper (ie braised short ribs, NY cheesecake, generic dishes you see in every restaurant) dishes that may not be indicative of a typical experience at that restaurant. You can look at the menus online beforehand, and try to go to the restaurants that offer dishes that are on their regular menu.
5. Supplements and wine pairings. These are additional costs.
6. Avoid the chains.
Feel free to add your own tips or suggestions and enjoy your dineLA RW experiences!